29 May 2012

On Ice


On Ice by J.D. Faver

A terrified woman erases her past to escape her abusive husband. Taking her children, she disappears from Texas only to reinvent herself as a teacher in a remote Alaskan village. She fights to survive the harsh environment, while ever mindful of the danger stalking her. A complication emerges in the form of her new boss who is unaware of her entanglement and pursues her with a passion. Hungry for a father figure, her young children immediately take to him, but she is haunted by the cruel man who battered her. Can a good man heal her scars and gain her trust? As she evolves in her new role, she becomes stronger as a person. Back in Texas, her sister draws the abuser's fury and becomes his new victim. When her past catches up with her, she is not the same woman who ran away. She puts her life on the line to protect her children, but will she survive the wrath of a sociopath bent on revenge?


On Ice is gripping from the beginning. Ever when the story lulls there's an undercurrent of suspense. The ending was unexpected but I wished it happened differently. This is one of the first books that I have read where the abusive husband's threats were this explicit.

Having just watched a movie about a stalker and the ineptness of police, this book because a very plausible tale of one woman's courage to no longer be a victim. I can say that I lost much sleep like other reviewers but what I can say is... that if you're tire of what television this book will keep you as rivet as anything on it.

This was my first book by J.D. Faver. I think I'm definitely going to have to check out her other books. Her style of writing is quick paced. When I finally sat down to read it, I read through this rather quickly thoroughly engrossed in this story. I hope her other are this engrossing.


I give On Ice 4 out 5.

No comments: