06 July 2012

Hunter & Prey (Immortalis Vampire Series 2)

Hunter & Prey (Immortalis 2) by Katie Salidas


Hunters & Prey, Book #2 in the Immortalis Vampire Series.
The exciting sequel to Immortalis Carpe Noctem.
Rule number one: humans and vampires don't co-exist. One is the hunter and one is the prey. Simple, right? Not for newly-turned vampire Alyssa.

A surprise confrontation with Santino Vitale, the Acta Sanctorum's most fearsome hunter, sends her fleeing back to the world she once knew, and Fallon, the human friend she's missed more than anything. Now she has some explaining to do. However, that will have to wait. With the Acta Sanctorum hot on their heels, staying alive is more important than educating a human on the finer points of bloodlust.



Hunters & Prey (Immortalis 2) in this book Alyssa is more comfortable with being a vampire. I actually like that drama of this story. Everything was black and white but it wasn’t. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. This was the underlining truth of this novel.

Katie Salidas found her voice and the story seemed to flow better than in the last one. We the introduction of a character that only had a brief appearance in the first novel, it allows Alyssa to take stock of her life as a vampire. It added a new challenge that I was glad she had to face. Something that I think is glossed over. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the narrative of later books.

The Acta Sanctorum, this sect of vampire condoned by the Roman Catholic Church always rubbed me the wrong way from there the very moment Lysander made mention of them. Any group that doesn’t what they do has essentially lost their way. It was glad to see how power corrupts when they aren’t any checks and balance.

Although I liked it there’s still something that keeps it from push itself into that next level for me to give it a four. I never truly felt that the characters were in real danger. Maybe it’s because they are vampire. Maybe it’s because I’m jaded. Hopefully the next one in the series, Pandora’s Box (Immortalis 3), will meet that missing something.



I give Hunters & Prey (Immortalis 2) 3 out 5.

No comments: