08 August 2012

Winter's Awakening: The Metahumans Emerge (Winter's Saga 1)

Winter’s Awakening: The Metahuman Emerge (Winter’s Saga 1) by Karen Luellen



Created for evil.
Raised to protect.
Searching for truth.

******

Extraordinary teen Meg Winter and her brothers Alik and Evan are shoved into a new reality when they discover life is not what they thought it was: there is evil hunting them, they are not normal teens, and their mother's captor wants them back to continue his plans for the perfect race.



First let me start by say Ah-Maze-ING. Winter’s Awakening: The Metahumans Emerge should definitely get the Hollywood treatment. If they are going to continue to remake crap like Total Recall, this should be on a studio’s list. It’s Robert Ludlum’s The Bourne Identity meets X-Men: First Class. Warning: Set aside time to read, YOU WILL NOT WANT TO PUT DOWN.  

This is a fast pace and surprisingly quick read. I never questioned the good or bad of the characters. Karen Luellen’s writing allowed me to visualize the action surrounding the characters. For me I kept imagining Jennifer Lawrence’s character from Winter’s Bone as Meg. Alik (cool spelling btw), and Evan were generic based on their descriptions.  

These kids are intelligent, capable, and lethal. Their “mother” made them self-sufficient. It really doesn’t read artificial or farcical when these 15, 14, and 12 put a plan in motion.  

The backstory is exactly how I imagine metahumans will spontaneous come into existence. It’s the noblest of intentions warped by the ‘GOD complex’ of man. Having been watching the Olympic, there are a few, I think are either metas or on the cusp of being one.  

The ending isn’t a cliffhanger but it does left you hanging. I do have my suspicions. I usually like to add a buffer between books in a series but I think I’m going to just go into the next one, Winter’s Storm: Retribution (Winter’s Saga 2) .


I give Winter’s Awakening: The Metahuman Emerge 5 out 5.

No comments: