19 June 2012

Slammed (Slammed Series 1)


Slammed (Slammed Series 1)by Colleen Hoover


Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


Slammed (Slammed Series 1) is definitely one of the better books I have read in 2012, so far. Even when I was feeling emotionally wrecked, it made me laugh. She uses a lot of lyrics from the Avett Brothers, a group I hadn’t heard of before this book.

I think, I was more impressed with the amazing poetry, than the love story, which wasn’t bad either. Layken is one of the most unique names of any literary characters. Slammed has the perfect balance of story and poetry.

My sister told me about going to one of these events and she absolutely loved. I was happy for her but I wasn’t interest in the experience. Now, it’s made me consider writing more poetry and entering a slam event. To feel the rush Lake and my sister felt.

This is the perfect book for an inspiring writer. Although the slam is a small portion of the book, it’s an integral part. Colleen Hoover gives the reader small insight into that feeling of having your emotion naked and expose.

From the preview of the next book in the series, Point of Retreat (Slammed Series 2), I’m definitely going to read it. Lake has lost her father earlier in the book, having lost my grandfather; it brought those emotions back up.


No comments: