30 June 2012

Vampire Dawn (Vampire for Hire 5) by J.R. Rain


Six years ago federal agent Samantha Moon was the perfect wife and mother, your typical soccer mom with the minivan and suburban home. Then the unthinkable happens, an attack that changes her life forever. And forever is a very long time for a vampire. 

Now in VAMPIRE DAWN, Samantha Moon tackles her most frightening case yet. Someone is leaving victims drained of blood, and all signs point to the killer not being a vampire. Meanwhile, Sam can't help but notice the changes coming over her son...fantastical changes that will leave her searching desperately for answers. 

As Sam tracks down a ruthless killer, and as her own humanity slips further and further away, an ancient relic holds a secret that will rock her world...and open up a whole new one.


Finally, I found a Samantha Moon novel liked unconditionally. Vampire Moon (Vampire for Hire 5) is the novel I hoped to read when I first read Moon Dance.Although I missed Christmas Moon, I think I was better for that missing knowledge because it had me paying closer detail to the action and actions of the characters.

I like this outing by J.R. Rain because this time around it was so much about her being a vampire as much as it was about her using her vampirism to enhance her being a private detective. Yes, she discovered new things in her life but they weren’t centered on her but around her.

Anthony is definitely going to be about to carry a future series. He has so much future potential that I can’t begin to fathom the direction of this character. I’m glad to see that she starting to realize that she needs to “come out” to her kids. When she does, I think Anthony will stay with his mom and Tammy will leave for her dads.

Another character that I helped to make this novel more interesting is the growing relationship with Detective Hanner. They are both women with similar home stories but where Haner’s became tragic it looks that Samantha’s will be the complete inverse. I speculate that this divide will increase in them until they are enemies. Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see.

Whatever I missed in Christmas Moon isn’t a glaring omission from this story but it will be the next story I read. It will help sate my thirst until the sixth Vampire of Hire novel comes out.


I give Vampire Dawn (Vampire for Hire 5) 4 out 5.

No comments: